Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Work II – “Anyone here ever done a FNA?”

Sorry, no pictures today. I was spending Tuesday afternoon reviewing cases with the attending (now Dr. Wester) when we were asked if either one of us could do a FNA. The local pathologist said that there were two women who were sent from the hospital to pathology for breast FNA. The two senior pathologists had not done the procedure recently and both deferred to me. I did quite a few needle aspirations as a medical student and a few more in residency. I said I was uncomfortable reviewing the microscopic without assistance as I have not seen many breast FNA slides. Both pathologists said they were comfortable signing out the sample if I would acquire it for them. Since one of the goals of pathology overseas is to set up a functioning cytology service in Kumasi, I agreed.

After a brief search, I was able to find the necessary sterile equipment and proceeded downstairs to a small room adjacent to the gross room. We set up our equipment and brought in the patients one at a time. Both patients were rural and did not speak English, but a translator was located. A few minutes later I was back upstairs waiting to see the results of my work. The first patient’s FNA was diagnostic for malignancy and the patient was able to get an appointment with the oncologist that afternoon. The second patient’s FNA was hypocellular, favor benign.

I believe that the pathology volunteers here and the local staff are working one patient at a time towards improving the lives of the people in central Ghana.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was thinking the same thing but after Wikipediaing all the words I still had no idea what the heck it all meant.