Saturday, October 18, 2008

Week 1 - Get settled and get to work

After a good 14 hour ‘nap’ I was met by the driver and we made our way to the hospital. The trip was a few miles and it took 20 minutes (ants again).

I arrived at the old pathology building and found the facility different but strangely familiar. Everyone in the department is extremely friendly and helpful. They showed me around and I soon found myself settled in behind my microscope with my cases. The first office on the left is for the department head (Dr. Quason). The pathology overseas volunteers share the middle office and the end of the hall is an office for the administrative staff. The two doors across the hall are the morgue and the bathroom.

A small sign is taped to the wall directly ahead of the volunteer office. . .


Ghana is far from the US, but it’s not Arrakis. . . (read Dune)

The gross room and tissue processing are downstairs, but there are no stairs. A short walk outside and back in does the trick.
After all the travel and the unusual surroundings I found myself comfortable. Dr. Frus and I, each at our microscopes with a stack of books, asking each other’s opinion on the day’s cases.

I am glad I decided to come to Ghana.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you see that sing before or after you spit on the floor?

Anonymous said...

That would be sign not sing...shit.