Thursday, October 23, 2008

A work day and a field trip

The day started out routine enough. We had a few trays of cases. Some of the cases I remember off hand: Kaposi Sarcoma on the big toe, mixed cellularity Hodgkins, leiomyoma, fibroadenoma, complete mole, invasive ductal carcinoma, unremarkable duodenum, gastric perforation with serositis, and some lesions I have never seen in the United States (17cm sacrococcygeal teratoma from a 5 month old child).

After we had finished I headed to the gross room. I asked about the jaw tumor from yesterday and I was told they had placed it in decalcifying solution (Excellent). I opened the container and found it to still be in one piece (Bogus). I went to Isaac’s office (pathology resident) with one of the histotechnologists and suggested that we could improve the histology, fixation, and speed of decalcification if we cut the jaw instead.

They agreed and I asked where the band saw was located. . . (a hush calm set over the room)
Do we have anyway of cutting bone? . . . (Continued silence)
Can you get me a hacksaw, You know, something a plumber would use to cut metal pipe?. . .
A half hour later I was given a hack saw by one of the facility maintenance personnel. He said I could borrow it on one condition: “Thou shalt not use my hacksaw on people!”. . . .(Nutts!)

I turned to Edward (Laboratory technologist) and asked if he knew where I could buy one. He said sure and we were off to Kenjetia market (Hmmmm, I still don’t have a toaster J). The market was really active today. Everything was open and there were people doing business everywhere.

We went through a maze of small shops and eventually found our way to the hardware department. After finding a few stores to be out of stock, we found a friendly merchant who was willing to part with one and an extra blade for $5. Edward and I were like kids at Christmas. Joy!

On our way back to the car we took a slightly different path and I soon found myself face to face with a extra large blue toaster. It was a large four slot industrial model. I briefly thought about it, but decided against it. We continued on, grabbed a bite to eat, and headed back to the hospital.

On arrival, I went directly to the gross room to finish my quest. Two cuts for pictures and a thin section or two for decal. The larger sections are below to help you with "guess what it is." Maybe one of the residents can dress up as it for Jim’s Anti-Halloween Party.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What the heck is that yellow stuff? Looks like lemon pie felling.....yum, pie.

K8 said...

did you put that yellow stuff in there or was that what was inside the tumor?

also, what made leave the toaster behind?

Anonymous said...

David,

Wow, interesting stuff. It looks like you are having lots of fun. I am glad Kevin gave me the link. Enjoy it, I'm glad you decided to go medical. I am a few months away from private practice myself. Good luck in Africa.
Jason Bradford

Anonymous said...

Sorry, Thats Emmanuel not Edward.

Unknown said...

Looks like an Odontogenic keratoCyst on anabolic steroids